Many of my Persian friends make
As they say in Persian or Farsi, لطفا ماست را منتقل کنید or “Please pass the yogurt”!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you’ve made it please share it with me by tagging @culinarybutterfly on Pinterest.
Share this Post
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried mint, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, garlic, shallots, mint, salt, and pepper.
- Peel and finely dice the cucumbers into 1/4-inch cubes. Transfer into yogurt bowl and mix until combined.
- Spoon Maast O Khiar into a serving bowl and garnish the top with dried dill and or dried rose pedals.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Mast-o Khiar is traditionally served as a side dish with rice and meat or appetizer with pita bread.
- This dish is best when eaten the same day. The cucumbers lose liquid over time, creating a watery consistency in the yogurt.
- One way to extend the life of Mast Khiar is to lightly sprinkle the prepared cucumbers with salt and allow them to drain in a colander for 30 minutes before adding to the yogurt, preserving the quality of this dish for a day or more.
Recipe by Shaya Chatraei for www.culinarybutterfly.com