Persian Potato Salad
Print RecipeTraditional Persian Potato Salad Recipe Yum
A traditional Persian side dish made with eggs, chicken, potatoes, and pickles, garnished with black olives and cherry tomatoes. Packed with flavor, this versatile potato salad can be served as a side, in a sandwich or with breakfast.
- 1 2-3 pound whole chicken, boiled or 4 cups shredded chicken meat
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus extra if needed
- 3 large potatoes, peeled, boiled, diced
- 3 eggs, hardboiled, peeled, chopped
- 2 cups diced dill pickles
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper plus extra if needed
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- black olives, whole or halved
- In large pot, add the chicken and enough water to cover the meat by 3-inches. Add salt, cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat, cook on medium for 1 hour. Remove chicken from water and let cool. Remove skin and bones from meat and discard. Shred 4 cups of the chicken, saving the remaining meat and chicken broth for another use. Transfer shredded chicken to the bowl.
- While the chicken is cooking, boil potatoes and eggs in separate pots until done. Remove from water to cool before peeling eggs and dicing potatoes. Add both to a large bowl and set aside.
- Dice pickles and add to the bowl
- In small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over chicken salad and toss well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 2 hours to allow flavors to infuse together.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or plate and garnish with tomatoes and black olives. Serve as an appetizer or side dish.
- A simple shortcut for the chicken is to purchase a pre-roasted chicken, remove skin and bones and shred 2 cups of the meat, saving the remaining meat for a different recipe or as part of this meal.
- The beauty of Salad Olivieh is that you can garnish and decorate it in whichever way it pleases you.
Recipe by Shaya Chatraei for www.culinarybutterfly.com