Confession time. I have a secret passion for new spices and when I find one I have to buy it! I recently discovered a new seasonal spice at Trader Joe’s called BBQ rub with Coffee & Garlic. “What you talking bout, Willis?” BBQ with coffee and garlic either has to be super fantastic or a seriously bad idea. I was up for the challenge, so I went home, created this recipe and Voila! Coffee & Garlic BBQ Roasted Rainbow Carrots. Oh yeah!⠀
Rainbow carrots are one of those vegetables that aren’t on the shelves of every grocery store, but when they are available, they make a beautiful side dish for just about any meal. However, these carrots are not just another pretty face. Each carrot color offers an array of health benefits, but the combination of each houses 20 percent of your daily requirement of vitamin K.
I have to give Trader Joe’s two thumbs up on their private label spices. Almost every season they come up with an ingenious combination of flavors that make up a brand new spice to try. Last year, I fell in love with their “African Smoke,” a spice you will find in my African Smoke Tilapia Salad recipe. Much to my disappointment, I realized it was only a seasonal offering when I tried to pick another bottle up a few weeks back. Providence was on my side, and instead, I discovered this crazy good spice called Coffee & Garlic BBQ Rub” their newest addition to amazing spice creations.
Even though I used it on these gorgeous carrots, this spice would be amazing in burgers, steak, over baked potatoes or any recipe you want to add a bit of sweet smoked flavor. Besides its unique warm smokey flavor, my favorite thing about this recipe is the simpleness of preparing it. I encourage you to grab a bottle of this clever spice the next time you are at Trader Joe’s and get creative in the kitchen.
Share this Post
- 4 cups rainbow carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil plus extra if needed
- 2 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons Trader Joe's BBQ Rub with Coffee & Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 cup water
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, rosemary, thyme, bbq rub, and salt. Set aside.
- Place carrots in a one-gallon plastic zip, pour olive oil mixture over carrots, seal bag and shake until carrots are evenly coated with oil and herbs.
- Pour carrots into a baking dish, add 1/8 cup water to the bottom of pan, and transfer to the oven. Bake 30-40 minutes or until the carrots are as soft as you like. Stir carrots half way between baking time, drizzle extra oil over carrots if they appear slightly dry.
- Remove carrots from the oven and transfer to a serving platter. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- There are many wonderful uses for this BBQ rub including on steaks, burgers, fish, chicken, baked or roasted potatoes and more.
- Trader Joe's BBQ Rub with Coffee & Garlic is a seasonal product and only carried in the store during that time. You can also find the seasoning on Amazon.
Recipe by Lisa Soldo-Johnson for culinarybutterfly.com