Indian Dal soup with ginger and rhubarb is a creation inspired by the overabundance of rhubarb I harvested from my garden. After making four batches of my Creamy Rhubarb Bread Pudding Bars, found in my upcoming cookbook, “It Begins at the Table”, I incorporated the rest of my harvest into this flavorful soup.
Healthy pigeon peas called Toor Dal are the base of this lentil-style soup. The aromatic flavors of fresh garlic and ginger, cardamom and cloves, and fresh rhubarb
Share this Post
Print RecipeIndian Dal Soup with Ginger and Rhubarb Yum
Aromatic Indian Dal soup with subtle bites of sour rhubarb is simmered in fresh ginger and spices.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cup Toor Dal Lentils
- 2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- Rinse the dal 2 to 3 times until the water runs clear.
- In a medium pot, combine the dal, rhubarb, ginger, garlic, cardamom, cloves, pepper, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 45 minutes, or until the dal is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cardamom pods and cloves and serve.
Recipe by Lisa Soldo-Johnson for www.culinarybutterfly.com