- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 strips bacon, thick sliced, cooked Applewood smoked or plain
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced in half lenthwise
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon shallot, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- In large bowl, toss together peppers, onions, bacon cilantro and marinade. Let marinate for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Using a colander over a bowl, strain the vegetables into the colander to remove liquid. Set the marinade aside for later use.
- In medium pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on high heat, adding in the vegetables once oil is hot. Saute, for 2 minutes or until vegetables are slightly soft. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Heat oven to a broil.
- Place bread halves on baking sheet and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on each half. Sprinkle garlic powder and dried basil on the bread and broil for 3-5 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted, being careful not to let the bread burn. Remove from oven.
- Using a large spoon, layer the vegetables across the bread halves. Sprinkle the tops with a pinch of salt
- Return to the oven and broil for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables are warmed, being careful not to burn the vegetables or bread. Remove from oven and serve hot.
- Spoon extra marinade over the vegetables before serving for an extra burst of flavor.
- Refrigerate the marinade and use it for a delicious salad dressing.
- Have fun with this recipe by using any of your favorite vegetables or meats.
Recipe by www.culinarybutterfly.com